Among thousands of things that could wreck the planet, plastic pollution would invariably be at the top. Plastic waste management has become a widespread issue across the world. In a nutshell, plastic pollution is slowly killing the planet. And if words don’t inspire you to believe us, here are 13 chilling facts about plastic pollution that certainly would.
1. As per a report by National Geographic, the weight of all the plastic produced since 1950 would be equivalent to 800,000 Eiffel Towers.
And the saddest part? Only 9% of the same is recycled. Why? Maybe due to lack of will because it is easily available.
2. I have never been to a beach and would be surprised if I ever go to one and don’t find shreds of plastic beneath my feet.
Plastic pollution is destroying and littering the most scenic places on earth. Humans today have converted even the most elusive locations on Earth, including the Himalayas into a trash land.
3. There’s no stopping to the pace at which we are producing plastic to meet over daily needs.
And would there be? Not untill we find alternatives as cheap and as rigid as plastic.
4. As per a study in 2014, nearly two million plastic bags are distributed every minute. You can imagine what that number would look like today.
For facts, the amount of energy required to make 12 plastic shopping bags could drive a car for a mile.
5. Literally every species, be it on land or sea, is getting choked by plastic pollution.
Don’t tell me you haven’t seen the pictures of innocent animals with kilos of plastic inside their stomachs.
6. As per National Geographic, over 700 species of marine animals have been reported so far to have eaten or become entangled in plastic.
This leads to the killing of rare fauna that enhances the beauty of our oceans.
7. Tiny pieces of degraded plastic, synthetic fibers and plastic beads, collectively called microplastics are not only dreadful for animals but also humans.
Ingested microplastic particles can physically damage organs and can compromise immune function and stymie growth and reproduction.
8. The worst thing about plastic pollution is that treating it takes more than just 100 years.
9. As we bid adieu to 2019 and welcome 2020, we would advise you to ditch this habit of yours.
Don’t ditch it for us, our for yourself, but for your home that the earth is and for the generations to come.
10. We as humans can’t do much about this fact as there are a lack of alternatives for packing goods.
Thus, for researchers in 2020, it would a challenge to come up with creations that can be used as an alternative.
11. Doesn’t looks good right? Seeing Ganga, the holiest river in India, on the list. We are the culprits.
However, we can be the change too. If you adhere to not using plastic.
12. And you can’t count both, but your imagination will tell you the huge number you would end up with.
13. Look around you. Can you find plastic items that could have been replaced with non-plastic items?
Now is the time to replace them once and for all.