Throughout 2019, we brought you news across categories. From witty memes to everything happening in different parts of the world, there was something for everyone. And as we bid adieu to 2019, for one last time, we have scooped out some of the most delighting news from 2019 that explains that this world is still the best place to live.
1. In 2019, deaths by global terrorism fell for straight four years. The number of deaths have decreased by a whopping 54% since 2014 as per the Global Terrorism Index 2019.
2. By the end of 2019, India’s forest cover has increased by 0.6%. This altogether is the size of the area of Goa and Delhi combined. The total green cover of India is now 24.56% of its total geographical area.
3. In April 2019, as many as 1.75-million people in Bavaria signed a petition to “save the bees”. The petition garnered so much attention that the petition was later converted into a law. Notably, bees are disappearing at an alarming rate due to the excessive use of pesticides.
4. In 2019, the world has begun understanding the harmful consequences of plastic much broadly. Including, India many more countries have completely or partially banned plastic.
5. Altogether, the world is 5% greener than it was two decades ago as per a study by NASA. The US space agency claims that leaf cover on Earth has increased by two million square miles which is equivalent to the size of the Amazon forest. India and China dominate the greening of the earth, the report adds.
6. As per a report in March 2019, as many as 90 million toilets have been constructed in India since 2014. This has helped plunge open defecation to a striking number. There was a 96% increase in the usage of toilet in the country under Swachh Bharat Abhiyan.
7. England lifted their first-ever ODI World Cup in 2019.
8. A London supermarket became one of the UK’s first mainstream chains to introduce a plastic-free zone in January.
9. At an age of 34, Sanna Marin became the world’s youngest Prime Minister of Finland.
10. In 2019, Ravish Kumar won the prestigious Ramon Magsaysay Award for journalism.
11. No clashes reported after the historic Ayodhya verdict. The people of India showed supreme faith in its Judiciary.
12. Period. End Of Sentence won the Oscar for the best documentary short film of 2019.
13. NASA astronauts Christina Koch and Jessica Meir worked for over 7 hours out in the vacuum of endless space to successfully complete the first-ever all-women spacewalk in 2019.
14. India reported that its population of tigers has risen by over a third since 2014.
15. According to the World Bank, India has halved its poverty rate in the past 30 years, increased life expectancy at birth by 11.6 years, increased the average number of schooling years by 3.5 years, and increased per capita incomes by a factor of 250.
16. This year Saudi Arabia granted women the right to travel overseas without the consent of men, register births, marriage & divorce, receive family documents be eligible as guardians to minors, and congregate in the same places as men.
17. Indian-American economist Abhijit Banerjee won a Nobel Prize in 2019.
18. India and Pakistan opened a peace corridor on their border, allowing Sikhs to visit their second holiest site, the shrines dedicated to Guru Nanak.
19. Indian parliament approved a bill that now criminalises the practice of triple talaq.