Google created nearby sharing in 2020 to provide a quick and easy method to share files between devices and with people that are nearby. Users may use this functionality to rapidly transmit and receive photographs, movies, and other material between Android phones, tablets, and Chromebooks. Google has just expanded its Apple AirDrop-inspired Nearby Share to Windows PCs, making sharing easier between mobile and desktop.
Google has released a new dedicated desktop tool for wireless sharing, allowing users to effortlessly exchange files across Windows PCs and Android devices. The new desktop program will make wireless file transmission easier for Android phone and Windows PC users. The app is being improved in order to strengthen the Google and Microsoft ecosystems.
Notably, Google is presently offering a beta version of Nearby Share for Windows in specific countries. In the next weeks, more people will be able to access the app. Meanwhile, let’s look at how to add and use Nearby Share on your Windows PC.
How to Get Nearby Share Beta on Windows
- On your computer, navigate to android.com/better-together/nearby-share-app.
- Press the “Get started” button.
- Save the.exe file to your computer.
- Run the file to begin the installation procedure.
- After installation, login in using your Google Account.
How to Install Windows Nearby Share
- Start the app.
- Navigate to the configuration page.
- Give your PC a unique name.
- Choose who can share with you in the “Receiving” section. You may opt to receive from everyone, known contacts, your devices only, or no one at all.
- Click “Done” to finish the configuration.
How to Use Nearby Share to Transfer Files from Windows to Android
- When you’re done, your Windows device will be ready to link with your Android devices.
- You can share files on Android by using the share menu, or on Windows by dragging and dropping.
- Choose the recipient to whom you want to email the file.
- Before the file can be downloaded, the receiver must accept it. If you email the file to yourself, it will automatically download.
- With Nearby Share Beta, you can transmit photographs, screenshots, videos, and documents to your Android smartphone.
Meanwhile, if both devices are registered into your Google account, file sharing is immediately approved. To share from Android to PC, use the Nearby Share Beta app and choose the PC from the list of compatible devices. Currently, the beta allows sharing with Android smartphones and tablets.
Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czechia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, and Sweden are currently not supported.