The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) in a decision with IPL Governing Council has decided to part ways from conducting IPL opening ceremonies quoting it as a “waste of money”
“The opening ceremonies are a waste of money. The cricket fans don’t seem to be interested, and the performers have to be paid a lot,” a BCCI official told The Indian Express.
The extravaganza ceremony, which witnesses performances from national and international celebrities, previously cost BCCI a whopping Rs. 30 crores.
Earlier this year, the Committee Of Administrators had donated a part of funds allocated for the IPL 2019 ceremony to the families of the 40 martyrs of the Pulwama terror attack.
“We’ll not have a regular IPL opening ceremony and the amount of the budget for the opening ceremony will be given to families of the victims of this terror attack,” CoA chairman Vinod Rai had said.
Fourth Umpire For IPL
Besides putting the curtains down for the IPL opening ceremony, BCCI also announced the availability of a fouth umpire from the next season of the mega cricketing league. The fourth umpire would closely focus only on overstepping no-balls.
“Last season, several players were given out and later recalled when replays showed the bowlers had overstepped. The idea is to reduce errors and controversies,” the official added.
The next IPL auction has been scheduled for December 19 in Kolkata.