Delhi Airport Is Now India's First To Fully Run On Hydro, Solar Energy
Interesting News

Delhi Airport Is Now India’s First To Fully Run On Hydro, Solar Energy

Indira Gandhi International (IGI) airport in Delhi has completely switched its power source to hydro and solar energy from June 1. Now this Airport can become India’s first to rely on these green energy sources for its consumption needs, said operator Delhi International Airport Limited (DIAL) on Wednesday.

Indira Gandhi International (IGI) airport

Green Energy-Consuming Delhi Airport

Cochin International Airport of Kerala became the world’s first to run on solar energy in 2015. Now, DAIL states that from June 1 they are consuming power by using the combination of both hydro and solar energies, but out of hydro and solar the Airport mostly utilises hydro. DIAL states that its goal is to be a “Net Zero Carbon Emissions Airport” by 2030.

So far since June 1, the data suggests that the Airport relies on solar energy to meet its 6 per cent consumption needs. Whereas, the remaining 94 per cent of energy is supplied from hydropower plants.

As a DIAL official said, “The solar plants are on the airside and roofs of the cargo terminals of the IGI airport. For hydropower, DIAL has signed a long-term power purchase agreement (PPA) with a Himachal Pradesh-based hydropower producing company for the supply of hydroelectricity to the airport until 2036.”

Currently, Delhi airport holds a 7.84 MW solar power plant located on the airside, and the other 5.3 MW rooftop solar power plant is located at the cargo terminal.

Also read:

India’s First Rapid Rail Service, Delhi To Meerut In 55 Mins

CEO Video Kumar Jaipuriar said, “DIAL has been working relentlessly towards environmental sustainability and has set its target to make Delhi Airport a Net Zero Carbon Emission airport by 2030, way ahead of the global target of 2050. To achieve this, DIAL adopted a green transportation program recently, and now achieved another milestone in the green energy program for IGI airport. Delhi airport has been using solar power for a long time and it is now fulfilling its major electricity needs from a hydropower plant. Running Delhi airport completely on renewable sources of energy is indeed a major milestone achieved by DIAL.”

Rishabh Sharma

Rishabh is an experienced content writer and editor, he is working for Viralbake to cover a diversified range of categories. His articles mainly focus on providing information, being a travel guide, educating others, and also making people aware of technology, after all, he is a technophile. When not writing he can be found gaming, watching movies, and travelling.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button

AdBlocker Detected

Please Disable Adblock To Proceed & Used This Website!