In a new initiative, the Election Commission of India has announced that starting February 1, 2021, all voters, whose mobile number is linked with the Election Commission, will be able to download their digital voter ID card.
On January 25, the EC has announced the roll-out of the electronic version of the voters’ photo identity card. The digital voter id card can be easily stored on one’s mobile phone. To note, the voter id will be available for download in PDF format and will be uneditable. Just like an Aadhaar card, one can get a print out of the digital voter ID and lament it he s/he wishes so.
The rollout will first be implemented in poll-bound states of West Bengal, Tamil Nadu, Assam, Kerala and Puducherry.
What is digital photo identity card?
The digital photo identity card or e-elector photo identity card is simply the digital version of the voter id card that you can also save in facilities like the government-empowered Digi Locker.
How to Download Digital Voter ID Card
- To download the digital voter id card, visit voterportal.eci.gov.in.
- Here, you would be asked to fill in the relevant details.
- Now log into the portal and from the menu, find the ‘Download e-EPIC’ option.
- Enter your EPIC number or form reference number.
- Soon, you will receive a one-time password (OTP) on the registered mobile number.
- Now, click on ‘Download EPIC.’
- Then you will be required to complete the Know Your Customer (KYC) process to download the card if the mobile number mentioned on the card is different.
- Once you have updated the number through KYC, you can download the digital voter ID card.
- Just in case you don’t know what your e-EPIC number is, you can check for it on voterportal.eci.gov.in.
- You can also download the digital voter ID card via the voter mobile app, which is available on the Google Play Store.