Google Pay has recently unveiled UPI Lite as a new addition to its platform, offering an enhanced and expedited method for conducting minor transactions. UPI Lite, developed by the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) and introduced by the Reserve Bank of India in September 2022, presents a seamless digital payment solution. With UPI Lite, individuals can effortlessly transfer funds up to Rs 200 with a simple tap, eliminating the need to input a PIN. This innovative feature proves particularly convenient for swift payments related to everyday necessities like groceries, snacks, and taxi fares.
UPI Lite Added to GPay App
The company emphasizes that UPI Lite guarantees improved transaction success rates, even during periods of high transaction volumes. Users have the capability to load their UPI Lite accounts with a maximum of INR 2000 twice per day, enabling them to conduct instantaneous UPI transactions of up to INR 200. Furthermore, utilizing UPI Lite contributes to a more streamlined bank passbook, as it reduces the number of transaction details displayed.
The introduction of UPI Lite by Google Pay follows the recent implementation of a similar feature by its competitors, Paytm and PhonePe, on their respective platform applications. It is worth noting that currently, UPI Lite is supported by 15 banks, and there are plans to include additional banks in the coming months.
“At Google Pay, we feel privileged to partner with the Indian government along with NPCI and RBI, in growing the reach and usefulness of UPI. Unique offerings and use cases are core to driving further adoption of digital payments in the country and with the introduction of UPI LITE on the platform, we aim to simplify small-value transactions by helping users access a convenient, compact and superfast payments experience,” Said Ambarish Kenghe, VP Product Management, Google.
How to Activate UPI Lite on GPay?
- Launch the Google Pay app on your mobile device.
- Locate and tap on the profile icon or your profile picture, typically found in the top right corner of the screen. This action will open your profile page.
- On your profile page, scroll down or navigate to find the “UPI LITE” activation option. Tap on it.
- A new screen or window will appear, providing instructions and details about UPI Lite. Take the time to read through the information provided.
- Tap on the option to activate UPI Lite.
- Google Pay will guide you through the linking process, which may involve linking your bank account or verifying your details. Follow the on-screen instructions and provide the necessary information as prompted.
- Once the linking process is complete, you will receive a confirmation message or notification indicating the successful activation of UPI Lite.
- You can now add funds to your UPI Lite account. Open the Google Pay app and navigate to the UPI Lite section or wallet.
- Tap on the option to add funds and enter the desired amount, with a maximum limit of INR 2000.
- Confirm the transaction and proceed. The specified amount will be added to your UPI Lite account balance.