The importance of the Aadhaar card cannot be ignored. It has now become one of the most important identities in our country. It is used for various purposes like opening a bank account and cash transactions. Therefore, customers must protect the Aadhaar card security to prevent misuse of the aadhaar number.
Interestingly, you will be excited to know that UIDAI comes with a unique feature that allows locking and unlocking the Aadhaar Number. Hence, this feature allows for strengthening the security and privacy of the user’s Aadhaar number.
Steps To Prevent Misuse of Aadhaar Number
However, some steps to protect the misuse of Aadhaar number of an individual are –
Locking Aadhaar Number
Locking Aadhaar number generally meant locking the 12-digits Aadhaar rather than using the 16-digits VID for any sort of authentication. Two ways to lock your Aadhaar Number –
Through UIDAI website
- Open “Resident portal” under Aadhaar Service
- Hit the “Lock & Unlock” option.
- Choose UID Lock Radio Button and enter few mandatory details like Full Name, Pin Code, and UID Number.
- Now, fill in the security code.
- Hit the Send OTP or select TOTP and click on submit.
- Now, the UID will be locked.
- To lock your UID, you should have a 16-digit VID number. In case, if you don’t have VID, then you can easily generate it through Resident Portal or SMS Service.
- GVID space last 4 or 8 digits of UID. SMS to 1947. For example – GVID 1234.
Locking Biometrics in Aadhaar
This service allows users to lock and temporarily unlock their biometrics. With the help of this feature, an individual can strengthen privacy and confidentiality.
Steps to lock Aadhaar biometrics
- Visit the Resident Portal, click on the ‘My Adhaar’ and then go to the Aadhaar service.
- After this, hit the lock/unlock biometrics.
- Now, you may enter your Aadhaar or VID number
- Enter the captcha code shown.
- Next, you will receive an OTP; submit it.
- In the end, biometrics will be locked.