The last date to link the PAN card with the Aadhaar card is approaching closer. As per the government order, the last date to link the PAN with Aadhaar is 31 March 2021. In case you fail to link the two documents, your PAN card will become inoperative from April 1, 2021. Moreover, the one who fails to link the two documents will also have to pay a penalty
As per reports, on 23 March, at the time of passing the Finance Bill, the government inserted a new section (section 234H) into the Income-tax Act, 1961. According to this section, the government will specify the penalty amount for not linking Aadhaar and PAN cards.
The order added that one who doesn’t link the PAN with Aadhaaar will no more be allowed to open a new bank account, buy mutual funds or shares, or transfer Rs 50,000 or more because a PAN card is compulsory for all these purposes.
If you seek to link the PAN with Aadhaar, follow these steps:
- Visit incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in
- Find ‘Link Aadhaar’ on the Homepage
- Enter your PAN Number, Aadhaar card number, and your name
- Then you need to enter captcha code
- Click on ‘Link Aadhaar’
- You’ll see a pop-up message on the screen confirming that your PAN and Aadhaar cards have been successfully linked
Over the years, the deadline for linking PAN with Aadhaar has been extended several times but the government seems to be stringent about the new deadline.