From April 1st 2023, individuals who have not linked their PAN and Aadhaar, will not be able to use their PAN Cards as they will become inoperative. And if you are wondering what could go wrong if PAN becomes inactive then read the following point below.
Here are the following things you cannot perform or major consequences if PAN becomes inoperative from April 1st, 2023:
- Taxpayers will not be able to file an income tax return.
- A pending return will not be processed without PAN.
- Pending returns will not be issued to the inoperative PAN Cards.
- Revised or belated returns will not be processed further.
- Inoperative PAN holders will be levied on taxes at a higher rate.
Tax Department’s Fresh Warning For PAN Aadhaar Linking Process
“As per Income-tax Act, 1961, it is mandatory for all PAN holders, who do not fall under the exempt category, to link their PAN with their Aadhaar before 31.3.2023. From 1.04.2023, the unlinked PAN shall become inoperative,” reads the latest tweet from the Income Tax Department.
The last date to link both these documents has been extended multiple times till now. There were many warnings given to PAN holders in the past, which also concluded with a fine of ₹1,000 if PAN Aadhaar is not linked by March 31st, 2022, under Section 234H.
As per the official website of the Income Tax Department, “As per CBDT circular F. No. 370142/14/22-TPL dated on 30th March 2022, every person who has been allotted a PAN as on 1st July 2017 and is eligible to obtain an Aadhaar number is required to link PAN with AADHAAR on or before 31st March 2022. Taxpayers who failed to do so are liable to pay a fee of Rs. 500 till 30th June 2022 and thereafter a fee of Rs. 1000 will be applicable before submission of PAN-AADHAAR linkage request.”
PAN Aadhaar linking process is mandatory for all citizens. This process must be completed on or before March 31, 2023, while paying the belated fees of ₹1,000.
Also read:All Types of EPF Forms and Their Uses
All the frequently asked questions about this mandatory process:
Why & when your PAN becomes inoperative?
- The PAN will become inoperative after 1st April 2023, if you fail to link it with your valid Aadhaar. This will majorly impact your financial transactions and taxes.
There is still time to link PAN with Aadhaar?
- Yes, you can still link your PAN and Aadhaar till March 31, 2023, by paying a late fine of ₹1,000. After this date, your ID will become inoperative.
Where to pay the fine of ₹1,000 for late PAN Aadhaar linking?
- e-Pay Tax functionality enables you to pay a belated fine of ₹1,000 on the e-filing portal for linking both documents till March 31, 2023.
How to link PAN with Aadhaar instantly?
- PAN holders can link their ID with their Aadhaar through http://www.incometax.gov.in, an official website.