In a shocking incident that happened in Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh, a family got an electricity bill of Rs. 3,419,53,25,293 crore. Resident Priyanka Gupta and the whole family were shocked after receiving a bill for a huge amount.
“Human Error” Blamed For Sending Wrong Bill
After receiving the bill, the father of resident Priyanka Gupta fell ill and was hospitalized. The family of the Shiv vihar colony was left clueless and stressed. Madhya Pradesh’s state-run power company will face disciplinary action against its three officials after this incident. The company blamed ‘human error’ for the glitch and later stated that the correct amount in the bill was Rs.1300.
Owner Gets Hospitalized After Receiving Electricity Bill
Sanjeev Gupta, one of the family members who happens to be a lawyer said, “I cross-checked the July 20 dated bill’s status from the website of the power distribution company, but the same bill was shown uploaded there also. My father-in-law, Rajendra Prasad Gupta, has been discharged from hospital on Monday only”. The assistant revenue officer of the company has been suspended and a show-cause notice was issued against the junior engineer. The general manager Nitin Manglik blamed the error might be a result of a software glitch.
General Manager of The Company Blames ‘Software Error’
“An employee entered the consumer number in place of the units consumed in the software, resulting in the bill with a higher amount. The corrected bill of ₹ 1,300 has been issued to the power consumer,” said the general manager. The state energy minister Pradumn Singh Tomar said, “When the error came to our knowledge it was corrected and action has been taken against the staff.”