Aadhaar is essential for every Government related work. It’s a 12-digit unique identification code produced and assigned by UIDAI to every Indian citizen. This govt assigned ID contains an individual’s demographic and identification details.
Updating Aadhaar Every 10 Years Is Mandatory or Not?
Several media networks reported that the Government had mandated for every citizen, to update his or her Aadhaar every 10 years. However, on Thursday, the Government denied all the false claims and clarified that it’s not been made mandatory to update your Aadhaar every 10 years. But, at the same time, they have suggested, for a citizen’s own benefit, that the person who has not made any update in the last 10 years to Aadhaar should do it.
“Some news reports incorrectly reported on Thursday that updating the Aadhar Card every 10 years has been made mandatory. The recently issued gazette notification also clearly mentions that residents ‘may’ do so on completion of every 10 years”, reads the statement from the Ministry of Railways.
“Aadhaar number holders may, on completion of every 10 years from the date of enrollment for Aadhaar, update their supporting documents in Aadhaar, at least once, by submitting Proof of Identification (POI) and Proof of Address (POA) documents”, reads the gazette notification.
Steps To Update Your Aadhaar Online:
- Visit the Aadhaar’s official service update portal and then click on the ‘’proceed to update address’ option.
- Now log in using your mobile number, and Aadhaar no. and verify yourself via OTP.
- In case you want to update your Address proof then click on ‘Proceed to Update Address.
- Now enter a 12-digit Adhaar and start the verification via ‘Send OTP’.
- Next, submit the OTP and enter your Adhaar account.
- After tapping on ‘update address via address proof’ enter your new address.
- You can also tap on ‘Update Address via Secret Code’ to update your address.
- Now enter the same residential address which was mentioned in ‘Proof of Address.
- After this, you will have to select the ID proof which you can use as address proof to verify.
- Post selecting your ID now upload and submit it.
- Lastly, your request to update the Aadhaar (address) will be accepted and a 14-digit Update Request Number (URN) will be displayed, note it down for future reference.