World Blood Donor Day is celebrated on June 14 every year to raise awareness of the need for safe blood and blood products for transfusion as per the World Health Organization. The day also acknowledges the efforts of volunteers and unpaid blood donors who help in saving people’s lives.
The theme of World Blood Donor Day 2022
The theme for World Blood Donor Day 2022 is ‘Donating blood is an act of solidarity. Join the effort and save lives.’ Mexico is hosting the day through its National Blood Centre and the global event will be held in the city on Tuesday.
Also read,Cancer Vanished From Every Patient After An Experimental Drug Trial
Blood Donation Myths Busted
- Donating blood causes weakness – This is a myth that most people continue to believe for years. The blood donated by the body is restored within hours.
- Those on medication can’t donate blood -This is not true for every case. People on medication can donate blood after consulting their doctor.
- Women should not donate blood – Women or anyone with 12.5 grams of hemoglobin per deciliter (125 grams per liter) should donate blood.
- Donating blood is time-consuming – The three-step process of donation contains donor registration, medical examination and screening, and blood collection. Blood collection barely takes ten minutes.
- BP patients cannot donate blood – People with blood pressure between 140 mm systolic and 90 mm diastolic can surely donate blood.
- Donation is for rare blood groups only – This is definitely not true. Every blood group is required by patients at different places and thus blood centers should have an abundant supply for each.