People signing up for the National Pension Scheme get a special number called a Permanent Retirement Account Number (PRAN). It’s a must for State and Central Government workers to register for a PRAN card. All the details for registration are on the official website of the National Securities Depository Limited. But there are other ways to get PRAN number online. Therefore, read this article to get the full details.
What is the PRAN Number?
When you join NPS, you get a special 12-digit number called Permanent Retirement Account Number (PRAN). This unique number lets you handle your account from anywhere in India. There are two types of NPS accounts linked to PRAN. They are:
- Tier-I: Think of it as your retirement piggy bank—it’s hands-off until you retire.
- Tier II: This one’s like a regular piggy bank. You can take money out whenever, but no tax goodies come with it.
Why Do We Need a PRAN Number?
Anyone between 18 and 60 can apply for PRAN. But before that, you’ve got to sign up with CRA and DDO. After that, you can fill out the PRAN application.
Now comes the fun part: filling out the PRAN application. You can do it online or old-school offline, whatever floats your boat. The next section has your back with a simple guide on how to get it done.
How to Get PRAN Number Online?
Want a PRAN card online? It’s easy! Head to NSDL or Karvy website, they’re the NPS go-to spots. To find an NPS PRAN, use these sites and apply with your Aadhaar or PAN card. Check out the steps in the next section for applying online with your Aadhaar card.
- Go to the NSDL website.
- Find the National Pension System link.
- Click on “Registration” in the dialogue box that appears.
- Choose “Register with Aadhaar Offline e-KYC” and move forward.
- Verify with the Aadhaar OTP sent to your registered mobile number.
- Your photo and details appear magically in the online form.
- Fill in the other details online.
- Upload your signature in *.JPEG or *.JPG format (between 4kb and 12kb).
- Now, head to the payment gateway, pay with internet banking or debit/credit card, and you’re done contributing to your NPS account.