Soon after the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH) made FASTags compulsory, it, in a new notification, has now asked all the drivers to link their Aadhaar card with their driving licence to avail contactless services. Besides contactless services, the government, with its new move, also aims to subdue instances of forgery of driving licence. The linking will allow the government to access any driver’s info helping it nab the accuse in unfortunate cases like accidents.
The notification comes days after the MoRTH introduced online delivery for as many as 18 licence services like; the renewal of DL, getting learner’s licence, change of address in DL, etc. To link a driving licence with Aadhaar, one has to visit the official website of the state transport department.
Here’s How to Link Aadhaar Card with Driving Licence
- Go to the website of the State Road Transport Department.
- Click on the ‘Link Aadhaar’ option.
- Here, select the ‘Driving Licence’ option from the drop-down menu.
- Next, you need to enter the driving licence number and click on ‘Get Details’.
- Once done, enter the 12-digit Aadhaar number and mobile number in the given space.
- After filling in the details enter the ‘Submit’
- An OTP will be sent to your registered mobile. Enter the OTP to complete the process.
Benefits of Linking Aadhaar Card with Driving Licence
As per a few reports, a driving licence would be deactivated if the owner of the same fails to link it with his/her Aadhaar card within the specified timeframe. With the linking of the Aadhaar Card with the driving licence, the government will be able to track multiple licence holders. This will lessen the instances of miscreants making fake licences and allow seamless functioning of State Transport Departments.