WhatsApp Pay, which was launched recently within the WhatsApp app, is now live in India with State Bank of India, HDFC, ICICI and Axis Bank. WhatsApp announced that now people with their bank account in the aforementioned banks and can use the WhatsApp Pay feature.
Moreover, the best part is the fact that WhatsApp’s peer-to-peer (P2P) payment feature is available in 10 Indian regional language versions of WhatsApp.
“We introduced banking services on WhatsApp in April. Over two million users have adopted banking services on WhatsApp in this short span. Now with WhatsApp Payments, there is a unique opportunity to scale essential financial services to people all over the country with ease,” said Bijith Bhaskar, Head – Digital Channels & Partnership, ICICI Bank.
Here is how you can use WhatsApp Pay
- Step 1: Open WhatsApp and tap on the three-dotted icon at the top right corner of the screen.
- Step 2: Now, tap on the ‘Payments’ option and you will find a list of bank accounts to choose from.
- Step 3: Select your respective bank account and then your phone number will be verified. The process will require you to tap on the ‘Verify via SMS’ option.
- Step 4: Then you simply will have to set a UPI pin for carrying out transactions similar to how you do it on other apps for security purposes.
- Step 5: To send money, just click on the share button after opening a respective chat and send money like you send photos.